Friday 27 April 2012

Logo development

I was getting tired of the placeholder logo I had, something I created during college, therefore this was a perfect opportunity to update it. I wanted to create a simple, stripped-back monogram logo which can be applied to range of print and screen based collateral - it needs to be clear at a small scale but not too simple that it gets lost. I wanted it to both represent my design practice and me as an individual. 

I started initially by focusing on my initials, creating a 'W' out of two rounded rectangles and cutting several points towards the top to create the letterform. I noticed that the letter 'J' can be found in a rounded 'W' so I began to exploit this aspect.



I created a range of design ideas based on the same concept - a continuous line which wrote out my initials, looking at gaps to separate the letterforms and rounded / blunt strokes. My favourite, and one chosen when I asked a few people, was the top left design.




As part of my design a day, I created this simple thumbs up icon using the logo design.

However, I was pointed in the direction of another logo which looked exactly the same as mine bar from a thinner and extended stroke. To avoid any issues regarding this, I took one of the curves out of the logo to try and still retain the 'J' and the 'W' in a simpler form.


No comments:

Post a Comment